AUGHNAMULLEN or Aghnamullen, a parish on the western border of the barony of Cremorne and of the county of Monaghan, and 2.5 miles south of Ballybay, Ulster. It contains the village of BALLYTRAIN; which see ?.
Length, 7 miles; breadth, 6, area, 30,710 acres, of which 1,644 acres are under water. Pop. in 1831, 18,032; in 1841, 18219. Houses 3,189. Pop. of the rural districts,in 1831, 17,812, in 1841, 18,022.
The land averages in value about 25 shillings per plantation acre. Extensive bogs occur along the western border. Crieve or Bunnanimma mountain, though rising to less than 900 feet of altitude above sea-level, is the highest ground, not only in the parish, but in the county, and forms part of the central water-shed of the island. It's form is lumpish and spreading; its circumference round the base is about 6 miles; its rock is metallifrerous, and has been mined near the parish church, for lead ore; its summit is hollowed by a lake which has been rendered highly subservient to economical purposes; and its declivities, once an unreclaimed waste, are now sheeted with cultivation or thickly doted with mills and other establishments of industry. See Crieve and Eaglish [Egish}.
Within the parish are part of the lakes and streams which environ Ballybay, Lough Avean, the lough of Chantinee, and 8 lesser lakes; on the border is the lake of Sincock [Shercock?]; and at intervals are the demesne of Rockfield, Bushford, Millford, Prospect, Mountain Lodge, Chantinee, Crieve and Sallyville. Lieut.Col. Ker, somewhere about half a century ago, greatly improved the Mountain Lodge demesne, made some fine plantations, and reclaimed a great tract of bog.
Bleachfields exists at Crieve, Cremorne, Drumfaldra, and Chantinee; and flax-mills at Crieve and Laragh.
The parish is traversed southward by the road from Monaghan to Dublin. Augnamullen has a rectory and a separate benefice in the dio. of Clogher. Tithe composition, 900 pounds. Gross income 969 pounds ; net 839 pounds 2 shillings and one penny halfpenny.
Patron, the diocesan. One curate, for the parish-church has a stipend of 150 pounds; and another, for a chapel-of-ease at Crossduff, has a stipend of 75 pounds. The parish church is old, and was repaired in 1830, by means of parochial assessment, and of a loan of 150 pounds from the late Board of First Fruits. Sittings 200; average attendance 300. The chapel-of-ease at Crossduff, 4.5 miles from the parish church, was built in 1828 at the cost of 900 pounds, gifted by the late Board of First Fruits. Attendance 100. Two Presbyterian meeting-houses, in connection with the General Assembly, the one formerly Secessional, and the other of the Synod of Ulster, are attended, the former by 120, the latter by 100. Two Roman Catholic chapels at Lochagish [Lough Egish] and Aghakiet, are under the care of two officiates, and attended by 1,120 and 600. Two other Roman Catholic chapels at Latin [Latton] and Drumconner [Drumcunnion?], are under the care of two officiates, and attended by 1,700 and 1,000. A Roman Catholic friary chapel in Ballytrain is under the care of a friar, and attended by 430.
In 1834, the parishioners consisted of 1,833 Churchmen, 2,519 Presbyterians, and 13,828 Roman Catholics; 5 Sunday schools had an average attendance of 635 children; and 20 daily schools had on their books 958 boys and 539 girls.
Two of the daily schools were aided with respectively 10 pounds and 8 pounds from the National Board; one, with 10 pounds, a house, and 2.5 acres from the National Board; one, with 9 pounds from the London Hibernian Society; and one, with 2 pounds from subscription and 7 pounds from the Society for Discountenancing Vice.
Aughnamullen, in the Roman Catholic parochial division, is cut into the two parishes of Aughnamullen-East and Aughnamullen-West, the former of which has Ballybay for its post town, and the latter Coot[e]hill.
1844 Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland
Thanks to Randall Summerville of AU for this material!
Return to Monaghan Page